E U G E N E E M M A N U E L V I O L L E T - L E - D U C 1814 - 1879
CATHEDRAL de LAUSANNE LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
Plan, elevation and section for detail of dormer window of central tower Ink and watercolor on paper 20 x 21 inches Dated December 2, 1872 Signed lower right
Dating to the year 1170, Lausanne Cathedral is considered by many to be the finest example of Gothic architecture in all of Switzerland. It is particularly well known for its rose window dating to the 13th century, which is itself considered a masterpiece of European artistic heritage.
The cathedral was consecrated in 1275 and underwent considerable physical changes during the Reformation in the 1500's. Subsequent restorations took place in the 18th and 19th centuries. This drawing was prepared as part of the restoration spearheaded by the french architect Viollet-le-Duc in the late 1800's. Viollet-le-Duc was most famous for his restorations of Gothic structures throughout Europe including that of Notre Dame in Paris.
Exhibited: Expostion Universelle in Vienna
ArchiTech Gallery - Two Centuries: An Architectural Evolution - January 8 through May 29, 2010
Provenance: From a private European collection Kelmscott Gallery
Drawn by Louis Villeminot Identified with ink notation / monogram lower right Pencil on paper Undated - Circa 1872 Approx. 6 3/4 x 8 inches
Dating back to 1533, The Hôtel de Ville was enlarged in 1803 and again from 1837 to 1841. In 1871, following the Franco-Prussian war, and during a continued period of great political unrest, the Paris Commune took control of the local government for a period of two months, and placed their headquarters in the building.
Government forces were dispatched from Versaille to Paris to battle the Commune, whose attempts to resist were ultimately unsuccessful. But in the process, the Commune set fire to several symbolic monuments in the city: the Tuileries Palace, The Cour des Comptes (Audit office) and the Hôtel de Ville. The fire raged within the Hotel de Ville for eight days, gutting the building, and completely destroying the city's archives and many of its art treasures.
After the fall of the Commune, the government decided to rebuild the Hôtel de Ville. A competition was held and was won by two architects, Ballu and Deperthes who had opted for an identical exterior reconstruction while changing the interior substantially. This drawing was created as part of the competition, however its creators did not win the commission.
ST. GERMAIN l'AUXERROIS PARIS, FRANCE
Two angels supporting a coat of arms above the principle entrance to the tower Pencil on tan paper 18 x 14 1/2 inches Inscribed in Viollet's hand to Louis Villeminot